These bars are a family favorite and taste like candy bars.
1 package German Chocolate cake mix
3/4 cup melted butter
1 small can evaporated milk
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup nuts
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Remove wrappers from caramels and set aside.
2. Mix together until smooth, cake mix, butter, and 1/3 cup of evaporated milk.
3. Pat half of the mixture into 9×13 cake pan.
4. Bake for 6 minutes at 350°.
5. Meanwhile, melt caramels with 1/3 cup of evaporated milk, stirring constantly over low-medium heat.
6. Remove pan from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips and nuts over cake in pan.
7. Cover with caramel mixture.
8. Place remaining cake mix on top of caramels. (Note: It’s thick enough, I flatten it with my fingers and place on top.)
9 Bake an additional 10 minutes at 350°.
10. Cut when cool and store in refrigerator.
Makes 24 bars.
Recipe from my amazing mother-in-law, Darlene Johnson
©2012 Connie Davis Johnson