Will you be blessed to have the family home on New Year’s Eve? Looking to start some new traditions? Here are 10 ideas for your family to enjoy at home.
- Decorate your space with streamers, balloons, and ribbon.
- Buy New Years Eve hats for each person and ask everyone to dress as if they are going out to a New Year’s Eve party.
- Hold a dance party. Let the kids play DJ, clear the furniture, and dance the night away. Depending on the kids taste in music, you may want to have some Tylenol on hand.
- Share your own “Family Year in Review.” Watch the family videos made and look through pictures taken in the past year.
- Ask each person for their highlights and lowlights of the year. Catch it on videotape to have a lasting record of what happened throughout that year. A popular New Year’s Eve tradition in Mexico invites each person to write the negative things that have happened in the past year and then burn it, letting go of all those past feelings and problems.
- Provide paper and pens so each person can write the goals they would like to accomplish over the next year. Place a copy in each person’s stocking. When the Christmas tree is decorated next year, each family member can review and determine the progress made on his/her goals.
- Play games. Nothing brings a family together and provides memories like playing a game. It can be an indoor game, board game, or electronic game. Your family may even enjoy having a tournament with many different types of games.
- Eat! Provide lots of treats, goodies, and foods to choose from throughout the day. Make sure items that need refrigeration don’t sit out for more than 2 hours.
- When midnight rolls around, leap into the New Year by jumping off the kitchen chairs.
- Toast in the New Year with sparkling grape juice.
You may also like:
©2012 Connie Davis Johnson